Quiz: Are you a shopaholic?
The following quiz is known as the "Richmond Compulsive Buying Scale" and was published in the Journal of Consumer Research in 2008. "The scale is designed to identify consumers who have a strong urge to buy, regularly spend a lot of money, and have difficulty resisting the impulse to buy," the researchers said.
Take a look at the following six questions and answer them on a scale of 1-6, 1 being that you strongly disagree with the statement, and 6 being that you strongly agree with the statement.
1. My closet has unopened shopping bags in it.
2. Others might consider me a shopaholic.
3. Much of my life centers on buying things.
4. I consider myself an impulse purchaser.
5. I buy things I don't need.
6. I buy things I did not plan to buy.
Calculating your score:
Add up the six numbers for each of the responses to get your total score. If it's 25 or above, you should look into seeking help. Check out the websites Shopaholics Anonymous and Shopaholic No More for more information.